Friday 18 February 2011

My Flower Models

I have started to look at the basic shapes found in flowers and looking at how they can be repeated. This first example was a small origami flower which I think looks quite nice; however I don’t think it really shows any kind of interesting repeated pattern. 

 

This is another experiment which I think it more successful as I think it shows a flower in a more abstract way. I noticed that when the petals are joined they create a pentagon shape which I like. I want to start thinking of ways in which I can create more of these flowers and join them to show even more repetition. I think flower balls show this really well so I am going to start experimenting with these.

In the model below I really like the more angular approach. I think this also show repetition really well and I could extend this further by making more of these flowers and arranging them in waves, lines or even hanging them randomly. I could also add more segments to create even more repetition. As I said previously I didn’t think the pleating technique would be suitable for the subject I am focusing on. However this model is very structured with strong angles. I have also used some of the skills I gained from Sweeny’s workshops in this model.




After creating the flower above I started looking at how I could join these flowers together. I don’t think this was particularly successful as they didn’t all fit together as I would have liked. I think this may be because this flower is quite delicate looking and if it was more structures like some of the examples above it may be a bit more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment